Monday 7 April 2008

Spin-tastic


Quick update on my Freecycle pursuits...

I just picked up about 25 records from another freecycler in Markham, and to my disappointment (although I wasn't that surprised), most of the records were BRUTAL..we are talking 5 Julio Iglesias, 3 Air Supply records in one collection bad. Also, about half of them were Chinese records, but I did manage to extract a few worth having. The reason I mention it though, is to remind you not to get jaded if freecycling doesn't work out every time. I have already been brainstorming about some awesome ways to reuse the bad records without actually having to play them. One of these ideas involves using them to make a table to put my record player on, or maybe a frame for a mirror. Either way, it's going to be something cool.

On the plus side, one of the Chinese records looks exactly like the cover of 'Thriller' but with a Chinese woman on the front, it's pretty great.

THIS WEEK'S POST!

God bless treehugger.com

The site that brought my attention to freecycle recently gave me another gift, although I can't really use it until I get my own place. If you are looking to reduce your energy usage in the laundry room, check out a company called The Laundry Alternative. They offer a new dryer that takes only 3 minutes, uses no heat, and costs only $130. This being said, the dryer isn't meant to have your clothes come out wearably dry, they come out slightly damp (although for 3 minutes thats damn good). The purpose of the dryer is to be used in conjunction with a drying rack to finish of the drying process (but not have to wait all day), although if you really wanted your clothes dry immediately you could probably finish them off in the real dryer for just a few minutes. Naturally, since the dryer uses no heat, it is significantly smaller than a regular dryer and way better for the environment. I will try and post a picture of it, but we will see whether or not that actually happens. The Laundry Alternative offers a smaller dryer for $60 that is meant for a few pairs of jeans or something similar, since jeans retain way too much water and make your regular dryer run longer than needed. They also have a washing machine that uses no electricity but requires hot water, so i don't see that being much better than running a regular machine on a cold cycle. I am sure most of you reading this won't need any of these products any time soon, but keep them in mind for whenever that time comes.

5 comments:

Kris said...

I'm sold - let's get one!

Speaking of awesome organic products, I will take the time to advertise my new favourite product. PlantLove by Cargo.
It's a botanical lipstick that comes in a biodegradable tube (made of corn and painted with soy paint). Best of all, the box it comes in is made of recycled paper and is embedded with wildflower seeds, so you can moisten the box and plant it in your garden and flowers will grow!

www.cargoplantlove.com

Kris said...

PS: They're a Canadian company too!

Mike Radoslav said...

That sounds really cool, I'm interested! I do have a drying rack but it could use a bit of assistance anyways :)

Anonymous said...

how dare you contemplate making a table out of Air Supply records...you should be ashamed of yourself sir

Anonymous said...

www.greenisblack.ca

 
Google Analytics Alternative