Sunday 1 June 2008

This week in going green- mooshoes and ecocessories



So clearly I've gotten well out of the habit of making regular posts, mostly because I am busy with work, selling the house and my last courses at Laurier. I will try to make a point of doing regular posts again even if that means just doing them on my lunch hour or whenever. This week I have two cool things to tell you about if you are (like me) wading through seas of information about going green trying to find the best (and most practical) way for you. Hopefully these can help you out.

Mooshoes- this is a vegan shoestore based out of NYC, so not all of their shoes are necessarily eco-friendly, but they are certainly all animal friendly. I mention them because they carry some of the best eco-brands out there, including Simple, which in my experience has been extremely difficult to find at a reasonable price, if at all. The one place I found on Queen Street listed the shoes at around $20-25 more than Mooshoes did, so it's certainly worth the shipping. In addition, Simple's Ecos do not appear to be available in Canada (according to a retailer in Port Carling) but they are on Mooshoes. They do a lot of business out of their website and shipping is only $15 to Canada! Now, before you say "Rob, $15 isn't that cheap", that's $15 if you order 1 item, 2 items, 20 items, regardless of how many or how much they cost. I currently have an order out for a pair of sandals and my much sought after Ecos for $124 including shipping. Considering how uneblievably difficult it has been to find the shoes i want it will be worth every penny when they get here. (ps, the Ecos themselves were $70, the most expensive ones Simple makes were $90). The shoes I got have hemp uppers, and laces made from recycled plastic bottles. The soles are recycled tires, except the term "recycled" is misleading, there were never broken down and reprocessed, you can see the tire tread on the soles, which is SUPER cool! Anyways, enough about that.

Ecocessories- this is a little accessories business that my friend Jess started, and let me just say I am VERY impressed, I wouldn't plug it otherwise. Her website is www.ecocessories.ca which right now links to her blog (this business is VERY new, but mucho cool) but will soon be an actual website. You can already check out some of her work and it looks amazing. From what I can tell at least some of her stuff reuses beads from elsewhere and there are some very cool plans for eco-friendly shipping. Of course, most importanly, all her work is super stylin' and I can't wait to see more of it. I definitely plan on buying some for Christmas/birthday gifts and so should you! Anyways, that's all for now, Adios

0 comments:

 
Google Analytics Alternative