Thursday 26 March 2009

Spotlight On: Jessica Reiss, Founder of ecocessories




It's true that great ideas often come from the smallest companies.
Jessica Reiss is the founder of ecocessories, a growing recycled jewelry designer based in North Vancouver, BC.  Although Jessica is a good friend of mine, you don't have to be close to the company to know that it's an idea with legs.  She has been embraced by friends and strangers alike, and most recently by local forums for green living and fashion, including Granville Magazine.
ecocessories is based on the concept of taking old or unwanted pieces of jewlery, stripping them down, and designing new and exciting pieces from the truly staggering selection of elements that Jessica has accrued since her launch.  
If you were wondering, the "eco" element of Jessica's business is present from the moment she receives a new piece of jewlery, and is sustained throughout her process.  First and most obviously, the recycling of existing items cuts down drastically on their environmental impact.  Next, the recycled elements are sustainably cleaned and stored, and incorporated with new chains with the ecocessories signature touch.  Jessica's style is both recognizable and accessible, yet does not hesitate to challenge conventions of symmetry or to harmonize elements from completely different pieces or eras.
I recently had the privledge of talking with Jessica about ecocessories, including her plans for the future (conversation below).  If you are interested in green living, fashion, or are even just looking for a stylish gift for that special someone, I strongly urge you to check out ecocessories.





Rob: What inspired you to start recycling jewelry?
Jess: I attended a green consumer show called Epic Expo and was fascinated by all of the sustainable fashion. I knew I needed a second income so the wheels started turning about launching my own business. To recycle jewelry literally just popped in my head - a few artisans were sourcing vintage and antique jewelry for materials, but I wanted to recycle jewelry as the forefront of my mission. If I am making something to sell I like to know that I am giving a second life to recycled beads and I use sterling silver in my new jewelry designs because it is a precious metal that can be repurposed many times.
Rob: What has surprised you most since launching ecocessories?
Jess: Probably the outpouring of support. Everyone 'gets' my idea and is willing to help, which is very cool!
Rob: If you had to guess, how many pieces of jewelry have you recycled since you have started?
Jess: Hundreds!!
Rob: Other than recycling jewelry, what else does ecocessories do to reduce its impact?
Jess: Every time I need to make a new investment in office furniture tools etc. I always try to buy used first. I like knowing I am giving that item a second life and learning about the history attached. I also try to buy Energy Star appliances, such as the Printer/Scanner for the office and to use recycled materials when possible, such as the recycled cardboard boxes my jewelry comes nestled in. 
I truly believe that one person can make a difference in their environmental impact. Choosing to 'Live Green' is an easy choice because you end up with high quality, cherished possessions; you save money by reducing waste & consumption; and you inspire others to make the same decision!
Rob: ecocessories has recently been featured in a number of forums as a company to watch. What has been the biggest thrill for you so far?
Jess: The media attention has been pretty awesome at giving me exposure and driving some traffic to http://ecocessories.ca, so it has all been very thrilling. I was very excited when Granville Magazine - a local, renowned sustainability mag - sought me out for an interview. Their readers are exactly the market I want to reach with both my sterling silver designs and jewelry recycling services. Now my next mission is to grab Oprah's attention and I'll be set!
Rob: Any plans for the future?
Jess: I plan to just continuing to grow ecocessories and I have recently made a major change in my life to allow me to do that. I have left my full time job to focus on my entrepreneurial ventures and am very excited to focus some of this energy on the development of ecocessories. I will be attending a few markets locally in North Vancouver and Downtown Vancouver this summer, so stay tuned to http://blog.ecocessories.ca to find out when/where you can find my booth!
Rob: You have said that you would eventually like ecocessories to contribute some of its revenue to not-for-profits.  Do you have any in mind that you feel are especially important?
Jess: Yes. I work closely with the Human Dignity Initiative which is a fledgling non-profit just getting started here in Vancouver. The first project taken on by Wendy, HDI's founder, is the Solar Light Initiative. Wendy wants to bring solar flashlights to households in Cambodia and Uganda. The stats are alarming about the risks associated with using kerosene lanterns and HDI's solution will allow women & children to extend their working hours with this safe and affordable light source. Learn more at my previous blog entry:
Once ecocessories breaks even I will be contributing to this amazing cause!

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you Rob for both the interview and your kind words!

Yes - the concept of recycling is open to anyone and I am pleased to contribute to a more sustainable planet by recycling jewelry.

 
Google Analytics Alternative